Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday Missoulian - September 20, 2009

The Missoulian is the primary local newspaper (although I dare say it is smaller than the Cape Cod Times).  I've been reading it every Sunday to get a better feel for my new community.  I've found that land resources issues are very important in Montana - timber production, grizzly habitat, open space, and big game hunting (wolf season is now open in Idaho and parts of Montana).  My favorite section of the Sunday Paper, "Territory," focuses on life in Montana.  In any case, I thought I would share an occasional story from paper to give you a better sense of the area too.
  • "Recruiting on the Rez," Chelsi Moy, September 20, 2009.  There is a lot of concern for American Indian students at UM, as they often have difficulty acclimating, and have lower retention and graduation rates.
  • The Kootenai Creek wildfire, Betsy Cohen, September 2009.  It is no wonder the sky turned a dark, cloudy brown when a cold front moved through Missoula yesterday.  Stevensville is just 30 miles southwest of Missoula.  I may be studying rocks from the Bass Creek area (after the fires are out).

No comments:

Post a Comment