Monday, August 10, 2009

Heading west (really, really west)


It is a little difficult to capture the trip in hindsight... All the emotions I had on July 28 are modified by what I know now. Anyway, here is how it started: One 16-foot truck (instead of the 10-foot "mini-mover" I had requested). Thankfully, the Hyannis Budget Truck center does not ever keep a supply of 10-foot trucks. I don't know what I had been thinking - I filled up the 16-footer without trouble! It was super humid the morning we left, which means tempers (well, mine) were flaring as we finished the packing and all of the last-minute details. The beginning of the trip was surreal. We traveled two-to-the-truck, one-plus-two-cats-in-a-crate-to-the-car. Hooray for the Gartners' awesome walkie-talkies; we wouldn't have made it as far as NY State without them. The cats were in a small dog crate with a big cushy blanket, and turned out to be really excellent travelers (more details on their adventures in a future post). Thankfully, the a.c. in both vehicles worked just fine, and I have lovely memories of my final hours in Massachusetts: beautiful blue skies, green Berkshires, the open road, and much anticipation. On Day 1 we traveled from Sagamore, MA to Williamsville, NY (just under 500 mi). Good Advice: Avoid the Rodeway Inn, no matter how tight the budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment